Boys & Girls Club alumni are living proof that Clubs work. The Harris Survey of Boys & Girls Club Alumni conducted in 2007 produced the following statistics:
In the United States, 30% of high school students do not graduate on time. In contrast:
• 90% of Club alumni graduate high school;
• 92% of alumni said their Club experience taught them that helping others is a priority; and
• 57% of alumni said the Club saved their life.
Club alumni identified the following as positive effects Boys & Girls Club staff had on their lives:
• 85% said that the staff taught them right from wrong
• 82% said the staff improved their self confidence.
• 77% said they learned good leadership skills from staff.
• 76% said that the staff gave them someone to talk to as a kid.
• 67% said it is because of the influence of Boys & Girls Clubs staff that they have goals & aspirations.
• 63% said that the staff contributed to their success in high school
• 60% said that the influence of the staff improved their work life and later career.
The Boys & Girls Club of the Emerald Coast's staff is one of our greatest resources, and provides a constant source of motivation for our youth. They believe in our kids, they encourage them, they hold them to high standards. And for many, the staff is a more constant figure than anyone in their home life.